Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA)
Established in 2012 under the Water Resources Management Act No. 21 of 2012 under the Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA), whose main function, is “to promote and adopt a dynamic, gender-sensitive, integrated, interactive, participatory and multisectorol approach to water resources management and development that includes human, land, environmental and socio-economic considerations, especially poverty reduction and the elimination of water borne diseases, including malaria.”
WARMA is responsible for managing and regulating the use of Zambia’s water resources in an integrated, participatory and sustainable manner based on humon, land, environmental and socio-economic considerations. WARMA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In order to effectively manage its functions, the Authority wishes to recruit a suitably qualified, self-motivated and experienced person for the following position:
Job Title: Authority Secretary
Reports To: Director General
Location: WARMA Head Office – Lusaka
a) Grade 12 School Certificate with 5 ‘O’ levels including English Language or its equivalent
b) A degree in Law (LLB) from a reputable Institution
c) Advocate of the High Court of Zambia with a valid Legal Practising License issued by the Law Association of Zambia (LAZ)
d) A minimum of Five (5) years’ post qualifying experience with at least 5 years in a senior management position, preferably in a similar institution;
e) Must be a Zambian Citizen
a) Must be computer literate;
b) Proven strong writing and analytical skills; and
c) Good interpersonal skills.
Purpose of the Job
To lead, coordinate and control legal and Board Secretarial functions in order to contribute to the achievement of the Authority’s mandate.
Main Duties and Accountabilities:
- Provides effective secretarial services to the Water Resources Management Authority Board and Senior Management to ensure effective and efficient administration of operations of the Board;
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities relating to provision of legal services and support. This includes advising and representing the Board on all legal matters, legal drafting and reviewing documentation, and attending to conveyance relating to Board property;
- Advise the Board on its roles and responsibilities;
- Advise the Authority on all legal matters to ensure that the interests of the Authority are safeguarded.
- Facilitate the orientation of new Board Directors and assist in training and development;
- Monitor corporate governance developments and assist the Board in tailoring governance practices to meet the Board’s needs and stakeholder expectations;
- Maintain key corporate documents and records;
- Handle litigation cases by appearing, in person, in the Court of law to institute and for defend cases where WARMA is party to and process of documents pertaining thereto,
- Provide legal opinion and advice to management on all operations and transactions in order to ensure adherence to stipulated legal obligations.
- Undertake a variety of ad-hoc activities, such as preparation of writs, summons of appearance, delivery of summons, preparation of a variety of memoranda, etc.
- Interprets laws, including the Water Resources Management Act No. 21 of 2020 so that the institution is properly guided in executing its mandate.
- Perform any other duties as the supervisor may request from to time to
Note: Female candidates are encouraged to apply
Interested persons should send their application letters supported by copies of certified academic and professional qualifications with de-tailed CVs with 3 traceable to the following address not later than 17:00hrs on 30 th June 2020. Electronic copies shall not be considered.
The Board Chairperson
Water Resources Managernent Authority
Plot No LN-385-7 & 385-8, Alick Nkhota Rood
PO Box 51059
APPLICATIONS RECEIVED LATER THAN THE CLOSING DATE SHALL NOT BE CONSIDERED.